WD Red is the only hard drive designed for NAS systems that have 1-5 drive bays. The drives are designed and extensively tested for compatibility in the unique 24x7 operating environment and demanding system requirements of home and small office NAS.
Fill your NAS with WD Red, then fill it with awesome.
There's an industry-leading WD Red drive for every compatible NAS system to help fulfill your data storage needs. With drives up to 8TB, WD Red offers a wide array of solutions for customers looking to build the biggest, best-performing NAS storage solution. Built for single-bay to 8-bay NAS systems, WD Red packs the power to store your precious data in one powerhouse unit. With WD Red, you're ready for what's next.
Exclusive NASware 3.0
Not just any drive will do. In single-bay to 8-bay NAS systems, WD Red raises the bar. Get as much as 64TB capacity, and with WD's exclusive NASware 3.0, you can optimize every single one of them. Built into every WD Red hard drive, NASware 3.0's advanced technology improves your system's storage performance by increasing compatibility, integration, upgradeability, and reliability.
Built for optimum NAS compatibility
Desktop drives aren't purpose-built for NAS. But WD Red drives with NASware are. Our exclusive technology takes the guesswork out of selecting a drive. WD Red is for small NAS systems, and our unique algorithm balances performance and reliability in NAS and RAID environments. Simply put, WD Red is the most compatible drive available for NAS enclosures. But don't take our word for it. WD Red is a reflection of the most extensive NAS partner compatibility-testing list that is available on the market.
Desktop drives vs. WD Red
- In a Network Attached Storage device, a desktop hard drive is not designed for NAS environments. Do right by your NAS and choose the drive with an array of features to preserve your data and maintain optimum performance. Take the following into consideration when choosing a hard drive for your NAS:
- Compatibility: Without being tested for compatibility with your NAS system, optimum performance is not guaranteed.
- Reliability: The always-on environment of a NAS or RAID is a hot one. And desktop drives aren't typically designed and tested in those conditions. WD Red is.
- Error recovery Controls: WD Red NAS hard drives are specifically designed with RAID error recovery control to help reduce failures within the NAS system. Desktop drives are typically not designed for RAID environments where this can be an issue.
- Noise and Vibration Protection: Designed to operate solo, desktop drives offer little or no protection from the noise and vibration faced in a multi-drive system. WD Red drives are designed for multi-bay NAS systems.
WD Red for Home
Stream, backup, share and organize your digital content at home with a NAS and WD Red drives designed to effortlessly share content to the devices in your home. Red NASware increases your drives' compatibility with your devices, TV, stereo and more. Live in a connected world.
WD Red Pro for Big Business
If you're looking for maximum performance in a heavy use NAS, WD Red Pro delivers the same exceptional performance for the business customer. For NAS environments with 8 to 16 bays, WD Red Pro is designed to handle an increase in workload and comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
- Storage Capacity: 2 TB
- Platform Supported: PC
- Platform Supported: Mac
- Features: IntelliPower
- Features: S.M.A.R.T
- Features: Advanced Format
- Features: Low Power Consumption
- Features: NASware Technology
- Maximum External Data Transfer Rate: 6144 MB/s (48 Gbit/s)
- Buffer: 64 MB
Network & Communication
- Wireless LAN: No
- Drive Interface: SATA
- Drive Interface Standard: SATA/600
- Drive Type: Internal
- Drive Width: 3.5"
- Height: 1.03" (26.11 mm)
- Width: 4" (101.60 mm)
- Depth: 5.79" (146.99 mm)
- Weight (Approximate): 598.7 g
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Mac OS
- D-link Share Centers:
- DNS-1250-04 (US only)
- DNS-1250-06 (US only)
Certifications & Standards:
- Canada ICES-003 Class B / NMB-003 Classe B
- TUV NORD
- Environmentally Friendly: Yes
- Environmental Certification: China RoHS
- Environmental Certification: RoHS
- Environmental Certification: WEEE
- Device Supported: Storage System
- Limited Warranty: 3 Year